Saturday 19 January 2013

Purchasing A GoPro


I have recently purchased a GoPro Hero 3 black edition camera. I decided to get this after seeing how effective and versatile GoPro’s are when we were filming the challenges for The Manual as my fellow group member Michael already had one.

GoPro’s are very small cameras that provide very good image quality whilst having the ability to be placed almost anywhere. They have an excellent mounting system with lots of adaptors available so that you can securely place them in all sorts of areas from standard tripods or flat surfaces to more unusual areas such as on poles, helmets and surfboards.

After much research I decided to purchase the black edition as it offers a whole host of features, can film in much better quality and also comes with a Wi-Fi remote, which would normally be quite expensive on its own.

There is an app available for GoPro cameras whereby you can preview the footage and control the camera and its settings on either your smart phone or tablet. This is very useful, as the camera itself doesn’t have a preview screen built on, as well as the fact that you can adjust the settings without having to touch the camera itself. There is also a piece of basic editing software called CineForm Studio whereby you can edit and adjust your footage as well as make sure the camera is up-to-date.

Unfortunately I had to wait for a few days before my 32GB microSDHC card and adaptor arrived before I could update and start using the camera. Now that it has come, I have set up my camera and have tested some of its features.

The accessories that came with the camera include:

- Waterproof Housing
- Skeleton Backdoor
- Quick Release Buckle
- J-Hook Buckle
- 3-Way Pivot arm
- Flat Adhesive Mount
- Curved Adhesive Mount
- Rubber Locking Plug
- Battery
- Charging Cables
- Wi-Fi Remote


I have also bought some other accessories including:

- Tripod Mount
- Handheld Extendable Monopod Wand
- Lens Cloth


There are several accessories that I would like to get in the future. These include a Chest Mount, Head Strap Mount, Suction Cup Mount and a Steadicam Smoothee. These accessories will enable me to use the camera in numerous ways with very good effect.

I will use my GoPro for filming for our next The Manual show, as well as various other projects and sports such as skiing and other outdoor activities.





No comments:

Post a Comment